Friday, August 10, 2007

Treasure Box

Earlier this week, I talked to my 10 year old and 6 year old about the things they were excited about with home schooling and the things they were going to miss about public school. They gave me a list as long as my arm about the things they were excited about with home school (there are some fears, as well), but I only heard two things they were going to miss about public school: seeing their friends every day and the weekly treasure box.
Well, Hallelujah, that is something I can do. What a GREAT idea, girls! So, off to Target I go (they are having an awesome clearance sale right now, all of these things were under $2) to purchase the Treasure Box items. Sabree gave me the rules in her kindergarten class for getting a prize: you get a mark on the board every time the teacher asks you to do something twice or if you whine, once you have the fifth tally mark (the one that goes across the first four), the gate is closed for a prize that week.
This has excited my crew so much that they want to start home school tomorrow. Praise God for the enthusiasm. I was skeptical of starting this at first because it seemed that they would behave for selfish reasons, instead of honorable reasons. Then, I realized that God will also reward us for our behavior here on earth one day. Hey, if the most precious God on High can use rewards to motivate, then I am there too.
Question of the Day: Where do you store your treasures?

No comments: