Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love homeschooling. I would not trade it for the world. I am convicted and assured that this is exactly where God wants my children. However, I am a neurotic about their education. I worry, ponder, research, pray, buy curriculum, ponder, research, pray, and buy more curriculum until my brain hurts and my friends won't answer the phone any more.
My fervent prayer is that God will be in control of my home school and will prevent me from messing up whatever plan He has for these children. I struggle at times with the "vanity" behind home schooling and the desire for my children to be "well educated" in the viewpoint of others. I realize this is sinful and prideful behavior. But, I truly desire the best education for my kids and I want it to be fun. I want them to develop a love for learning and more importantly, an unparallelled love for God. After all, they are His and created to glorify Him--PERIOD.
So, given this detailed history about my attitude toward home school, you can see why I am so excited about what we have discovered, quite by accident. The kids wanted to learn why a leaf was on the Canadian flag, which led to a conversation about science, medicine, geography, history, art, architecture, government, food, clothing, bridges, reading and ended in a writing assignment with a timeline. Hold the phone! Isn't that nearly every subject we need to cover in an entire week?!
What other country are you interested in? We realized that we can do Bible, Math and Grammar first thing in the morning and then do a Unit Study on a country in the mid-morning that got the kids excited about learning and research and included all the subjects we need to cover. We "schooled" until 8:00 p.m. tonight and not one child would have felt like they were studying because they were enjoying what we were learning so much. I say "we" because I learned just as much as the kids.
Eureka! Could this be our new curriculum? Could this be an answer to prayer? Stay tuned and we will see.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment