Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Can't Wait Until Monday

As some of you who know me can attest, I can get a little crazy when it comes to school. I have such a strong desire for my kids to LOVE learning that I throw it at them in every and any package that I can think up. I have made a board game for history, science, Spanish, and even vocabulary words. "What fun! Come on kids, let's play a game tonight." "Oh, ummm, well, we are kind of tired, Mom, how about tomorrow night?"And, quite honestly, I am having a great time inventing ways to "educate" my children without them knowing--wink! wink!
However, it turns out that they are a little smarter than I give them credit and have been up to speed on all my sly ways to educate them for a while. Evidently, they are not as enthusiastic about learning new things as I am. Go figure! Honestly, I don't understand it--I love to learn new things. I can dive into a book about something I want to know or research for hours on a subject. It excites me to unravel how something works or why things are the way they are--but the little guys just don't have the same zeal----yet.
So, after a loving nudge, I got down on my knees and prayed for God to just take this out of my hands and let His will for their lives prevail. If He wants them to be super scientists, then He will give them that desire and drive.
It has still been very hard for me to "stop" school at a certain time, after all, there is still so much to learn. But, I sat down with the kids and asked them what they would change about school if they were the teacher-- and I was completely taken aback by what they said. They did not even hear the part about IF they were the teacher, they just wanted to be the teacher, so I decided, why not?
Seviann wanted to teach a science class to the younger two and me every Monday. Sabree wanted to teach an art class to the family on Friday. And, well, Briley just wanted more time on the Wii (he is still a diamond in the rough). So, I told them that they could teach whatever they wanted, however they wanted, with whatever materials they wanted. The only stipulation I placed on them was that they must be PREPARED for class. You cannot wake up on the morning of your class and try to find a lesson to teach, it has to be prepared ahead of time.
So far, my precious little sponges have taken every free minute of their day to plan their lesson plans. They are so excited--and you know that this causes me to skip, jump, and sing praises at the top of my lungs. They can barely contain their excitement to teach a class, which in turn, makes me unable to contain my own excitement. I have never seen them pick up a book because they wanted to "research" without my prodding, or ask to go to the library for more science books. I am talking about a class syllabus written out and prepared for the next 5 weeks (planning), papers copied (research), lapbooks being prepared (writing), craft projects all over my house (creativity), searching for Bible verses to go with their topic (Bible), conversations about how the layers of the earth could lead into the water cycle, which could lead into a class on weather, which could lead into a class about the solar system (brainstorming).
And, I keep hearing Seviann enthusiastically say to her sister, "I can't wait until Monday", and Sabree will joyfully respond, "I know, I can't wait until Friday."
Truthfully, I have already learned a lot from them about how to make school more enjoyable. I think the lesson to be learned from all of this, may just be for me.

No comments: