Saturday, July 21, 2007

Evangalist or Pharisee?

You know how as you lay your head down to sleep, all the day's events will play over in your head and you will ask God how can you do better tomorrow?
Well, tonight as I tried to go to sleep, I could not help but think of an event that I failed to see the significance of at the time. I write this post in tears at the fact that I have been so selfish and self-centered. I have been a Pharisee today.
Our day started with a lesson out of the gospel of John, where Jesus heals the lame man at the pool and the Pharisees' ridicule him for carrying his mat on the sabbath. They are so caught up in the law, that they fail to see the beautiful miracle that they are a witness too. We talked about how we can apply that to our lives today. We prayed and felt good about the start to our day.
My 6 year old daughter was very whiney all morning, all afternoon, and all evening. Other than the beautiful kitchen cleaning, we had one of those, "please stop whining and ask me in a normal voice" days. I was quick to point out to her to look past the law and look to the miracles around her. I was very happy when I finally had her down for the night and could take a breath without hearing her "whiney voice". (I had to put the money for the tooth under the pillow, first.)
Now, as I lay here and reflect, I realize that when we went to the "ice cream social" in our neighborhood, she asked the man scooping out the ice cream if he knew Jesus. This is not unusual for her, she is quite an Evangelist, but normally she will stop with that one question. Most everyone you ask, says yes. However, with keen insight that only the Holy Spirit could have revealed to her, she asked a second question, "Is He your Lord?" The man was quick to blow her off and turn to the next person in line, but she would not stop there, she then told him that nobody would ever love him as much as Jesus does.
I did not catch it at that moment, but I now remember the man stopped scooping ice cream and watched her walk away. Do you think she pointed out the miracle? I do.
I feel like the worst mother in the world to have criticized her all day about her whining and not even have complimented her on her obedience to God. I saw only the law and not the miracle.
Thank you, Lord for opening my eyes tonight. Please help me to be the kind of mother that will foster you work and not snuff it out. Forgive me for my sinfulness.
Question of the night: Are you focusing on the law more than the miracle?

No comments: