Ladies--you know how important our kitchens are to our overall mental health and well being? And you also know that when just one platter or bowl is in the "wrong" spot it can lead to an emotional breakdown. Can I get a witness up in here?
Tonight, as I am busily cleaning my kitchen and going over my mental ToDo list, my 6 year old daughter comes in and tells me what a wonderful mommy I am and I deserve a clean-up helper. Oh, what a precious soul--"Thank you, sweetheart, but Mommy is almost done, why don't you clean up your toys, instead?" With a smile that is, as of tonight, missing 3 front teeth, and her beautiful curly hair messily hanging in her face, she assures me that she will pick up her toys after she helps her princess mommy with her cleaning. How can I refuse?
She reaches into the cabinet and pulls out the largest hand towel in the kitchen and proceeds to drench it with water and slings it onto the stove top before I can warn her to wring out the excess water. Do you have a mental picture of the mess?
She rubs the chocolate off the countertop and heads over to get the kitchen table "sparkly clean", when I notice the excess chocolate has now been smeared over all the cabinets on the way to the table. "Don't worry, Mommy, we can clean that up in a jiffy."
Fifteen minutes later, my kitchen is sparkly clean and very wet. I am thinking a mop is in order, when she throws the large hand towel on the ground, places both feet on top and does the "twist" to mop up the floor. Her huge toothless smile tells me she is proud of a job well done. And, I cannot help but laugh at the dance show I have just been so privileged to see. Maybe she has a great idea in her "one hand towel fits all kitchen cleaning jobs."
Thank you, God, for allowing me to see the blessings in kitchen clean-up.
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I believe you saw the real blessing in what she was doing...trying to help. Instead of getting upset about the extra work she created for you. Those are priceless moments.
Post a Comment