Saturday, January 5, 2008

Not again



It was 2005, the first time it happened. Sabree was asked to be the flower girl at my sister's wedding and two months before the wedding she decided she needed a haircut. This was no ordinary cut, oh no, this was one that you cannot repair, hide, or fix. Her hair was up in a "Pebbles" ponytail on the top of her head and she took the scissors and cut underneath the ponytail holder--yes, she cut down to the scalp front and center. Bald on top, mullet on the sides, long in the back--do you see the picture? She wore a headband for 6 months, and we really thought she had learned her lesson.

But, it happened again. Luckily for her, I am reading a book, "The Power of a Positive Mom" by Carol Ladd, and had just finished a chapter that morning on having an attitude of gratitude and how scripture tells us to be thankful in all circumstances. I had promised to God that I was going to look at life with Pollyanna eyes and find all the wonderful blessings He has bestowed on me, when I heard little feet getting out of bed.
I went down the hall to greet my moppy haired little angel when I noticed that the "mop" looked a bit odd and she had tears in her eyes. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" "Mommy, I need to tell you something bad that I did, so please don't get mad." "What could you have possibly done, you just woke up?" "When I was supposed to be sleeping last night, I was trying to brush my hair and got the round brush all tangled up in my hair. I tried really really hard to get it out, but it just got tighter to my head, so I cut it out." "Cut what out?" "I don't want to tell you." Realization dawned on me at that moment as to why her moppy hair was a little less mop; there was a gap just above her right ear where hair used to be.


I am thankful that she is healthy, I am thankful that hair grows back, I am thankful that she is cutting her own hair and not her sister or brother's hair. I am thankful..........that I don't have a paddle in my hand right now.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I bet she's thankful you don't have a paddle in your hand either!