Recently, the word "unfair" has been thrown around our house on more than one occasion. It is unfair if the older child gets to stay up a little later than the younger ones. It is unfair if I spend more time in one on one tutoring time with the younger ones than the older one. It is unfair if Mommy and Daddy get more dessert than the kids (okay, this might be true). Life is just unfair----or is it? Would we really want life to be fair?
Let's examine...
Is it fair to my children if I raise my son to have the same characteristics as my daughter? No! He is called to be the head of his household. He must be more authoritative and stronger. He must possess leadership skills and be confident in his decisions, as long as they follow God's will.
My daughters, on the other hand, must be gentle and quiet, submissive to their husbands, and nurturing to their children.
There are, of course, things that they must learn together, such as, loving one another, but for the most part, even those qualities will emerge in a way unique to each gender. This does not mean that I love one child more than another, on the contrary, I love each one of them with all my heart and desire the absolute best for them. It is this desire that causes me to treat each one differently.
I tell my kids all the time that if they want life to be fair, everyone will go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, read the same things, play the same games, sing the same songs, eat the exact same food...etc..etc...and all of a sudden, not one person in my house wants life to be FAIR anymore.
The same is true of us as Christians, we all have a different path to follow. God loves each one of us so much that he gave his one and only son for us. Yet, knowing this deep, profound, unbelievable love, he still made us all so differently and we all still follow a unique path. Not one of us is the same--yet we are still called to love each other--differences and all.
I Corinthians 13:4
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment