Going on this whole foods, GFCF diet, I did expect to see changes in the kids behaviors and believe me, I have. But, we have also encountered some pleasantly surprising results that I never thought we would see. The kids actually love the food.
Briley is probably the second pickiest eater that I have ever know in my life, the first being my dear husband. He hates vegetables, he only likes two fruits and they have both been banned from his diet, and he does not like variety. It took two weeks on this diet and two weeks of complaining every time a meal was served to hear the following priceless words three lunches in a row, "Yummy, mom, this is the best lunch ever. This is so good, can I have more."
Do you know what this child of mine was eating? Broccoli, squash, spinach, zucchini, onions, garlic, tomatoes, rice, and black beans pureed together in a soup with a few spiced and topped with chicken. Yes, he asked for more. That was the first day.
The second day he was eating a salad with every veggie you can imagine on it and topped with turkey and sunflower seeds. He even wiped the bowl clean with his finger. I thought I was going to faint. Who is this kid?
The truth is all the experts are right. Kids will not starve themselves to death and if only given the option of good whole foods, they will not only eat it, they will enjoy it. So now we have to change our motto from, "food is for fuel, not pleasure" to "eating healthy tastes great".
Bon Apetit!
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Girl - this sounds so interesting! I am going to have to come back and read all about it!!
Miss you!
Post a Comment