As we grow closer to God, He is faithful to show us areas of sin in our lives, whether we want to see it or not. Case in point, contentment--we are instructed to be content in all things, but are we?
I find myself constantly evaluating how to make a situation "better." How can I be a better mother, a better wife, a better teacher to the kids? How can I improve the organization of my home, my schedule, our extra curricular activities? There is always something in my life that can be "improved." It has, at times, consumed my thoughts to the point that the very thing that I want to improve, I actually end up neglecting. If you are wondering if I need medication, you may be right!
I have always thought of this as a trait of my personality, always striving to be better, a little competitive, over achiever, but sinful--never! I never realized this was sinful behavior, until this week when God knocked me over the head with this realization, while I was on a walk.
From that point on, every scripture I read seemed to be concerning contentment, every article I read was concerning contentment, my husband even mentioned it to me. Okay, Okay, I am thick headed and stubborn, but I hear You speaking to me.
Of course, we are going to make changes in our lives, but it should be in God's time and provision and not our own. If the change comes from our discontentment, it is from God? Are we resting in Him? I used to think that was how God guided me to change my life, but when I look upon the Big changes, such as homeschooling, I see that He guided me through contentment and peace, not discontentment with my life, but scripture and patience (as I waited on my husband to come aboard).
Terry Maxwell wrote a beautiful article on contentment that sums it up so much more eloquently than I ever could.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment