Thursday, February 12, 2009

Feeling Blessed

I received a call from a friend who was concerned about us because she had heard that Mark had lost his job and thought that the blog silence meant that things were bad. So, I want to keep you all updated on God's mercy and grace to us through this blog.
It is definately hard to get news like we have had, but God has blessed us in so many ways and He continually meets our needs on a daily basis. There are so many people out there who are dealing with things that I could never even imagine--a terminally ill child, spouse, or sibling, health issues, lonliness, addiction, and worse--not knowing our precious Savior.
We have moments where we are uncertain, afraid, irritated, and irrational. Okay, I admit that I have always had these moments, but then I am reminded that fear is not of God. 1 Tim. 1:7--For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and sound mind.
Life is full of change and if you are a child of God, then the Bible tell us that we will have trials because it is out of these trials that we develop perseverance.
James 1:2--Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
God has continually put things and people in our path to help and guide us with every step. When I think I am about to wring the necks of my kids--he sends a friend to remind me that children struggle with their position in life more than we do. (Thank you, Lord for that friend and her wisdom.) When I think my husband and I will never agree on the right way to stage a house for sale, God gives me a scripture to put things into perspective. James 4:1--What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it? (Cuts deep, doesn't it?)
Then, I have to ask myself--What if Mark doesn't get a new job, what is the worst that will happen? What if we have to sell our house, what is the worst that will happen? What if? What if? What if?
Does that change the way that God has called me to behave? No! Does that mean that He has forsaken us? No! Does that mean that I have a right to be upset or angry with my husband or my kids? No! Does that mean that it is okay to neglect the service that I should give to others? No! It is not a license for pity. It is not an excuse for bad behavior. It is simply a trial, a new direction in life, a change, and nothing more.
I know there have been a lot of moments over the past week that I have behaved badly and failed the test of faith that God has put before me, but I KNOW that--it is well, it is well with my soul.
Psalm 125:1--Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
Psalm 121:1-8--I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Isreal will neither slumber not sleep. The Lord watches over you--the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Even in the midst of what may seem like a bad thing, we have a bounty of beautiful blessings. He is taking care of us financially, he has given us a plethra of friends and family who have offered a multitude of help and wise council, we are healthy, we are well fed, we are together, we are loved--WE ARE BLESSED!

No comments: